OsmAnd~, special POI
This is a special blog post which can’t be put in handicap section. But this section is only in french and I prefer to write in English this small tutorial.
Some of you already know, some don’t… I am disabled. I miss my right leg and I live in a wheelchair.
But I can drive (with a little change to my car) and I need to now where are the disabled reserved parking place.
I will show you how to add those special POI1.
I suppose you already have installed OSMAnd~ and downloaded at least one map.
The main screen
The main screen of OSMAnd~ is really simple.
- on the top left, the profile selection and the search icon;
- on the bottom left the “hamburger menu” to access to many options, the route selection;
- on the bottom right, the zoom buttons and the “find my current place” button.
Find the POI we want
In this case, I want to display the disabled reserved parking places.
The search screen
- tap on the search icon (top left of the main screen);
- on the new screen select “categories” and swipe to the end of the list;
- choose “custom search” 2.
The filter screen
In the filter screen :
swipe to find transportation;
then in the transportation screen choose “parking place” (Emplacement de parking on my screenshot);
tap to the apply button on the bottom of the screen;
The apply button change to “Display”. Tap on it;
tap on the filter buttons;
unfold “Disabled access”;
select both options;
the bottom button appear “Apply the filters”;
save your filter by taping on the save icon (bottom right of the screen);
give name to your filter (“disabled parking place” for example).
Well the first part is done.
Displaying our new POI
Now we have a filter, we need to ask OSMAnd~ to display the place on the map.
- on the top of the main screen tap on the “Select profile” icon (a small globe);
- choose the car profile ;
- select the “three dots” on “POI overlay;
- on the list search for your filter;
- tap on apply and..
You should see your custom POI.
You can apply the same behavior to display “vegan restaurant” or “restroom for disabled person”, etc.
There is many step, but the satisfaction to have our own POI, corresponding to your goal.